If you look into people, you find them in 4 categories:
- Obedient to Allah and happy with their life.
- Obedient to Allah but unhappy with their life.
- Disobedient to Allah but happy with their life.
- Disobedient to Allah and unhappy with their life.
Falling in category 1 is normal because Allah says:
- ❝Whoever does righteousness, whether male or female, while he is a believer – We will surely cause him to live a good life, and We will surely give them their reward [in the Hereafter] according to the best of what they used to do.❞ [An Nahl: 97]
Falling in category 4 is also normal because Allah says:
- ❝And whoever turns away from My remembrance – indeed, he will have a depressed life, and We will gather him on the Day of Resurrection blind.❞
However falling in category 2 may be the result of either of two things:
1) That Allah loves you and therefore is testing your patience to increase your rewards; this is because He says:
- ❝And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient❞ [Al Baqarah: 155]
2) Or that there are errors in your worship, sins that you commit unknowingly or sins that you aren’t repenting from.
Hence Allah is testing you to make you realize your mistake, as He says:
- ❝And we will surely let them taste the nearer punishment short of the greater punishment that perhaps they will repent.❞ [As Sajdah: 21]
However, falling in category 3 should be a red warning to one’s foot slipping downwards.
This is the worst position for one to find themselves in because it results in grave punishments. As Allah says:
- ❝So when they forgot that by which they had been reminded, We opened to them the doors of every [good] thing until, when they rejoiced in that which they were given, We seized them suddenly, and they were [then] in despair.❞ [Al Ana’am:44]
❝And remind, for indeed, the reminder benefits the believers.❞ [Az Zariyat: 55]
Ml Khalid Dhorat