RAMADAAN – Frequently Asked Questions
- HOW DOES ONE CALCULATE ZAKAAT?
- Zakaat is payable on all Zakaatable assets to the value of nisaab or more at the end of one’s zakaatable year. Zakaatable assets are generally gold, silver, cash, dividends, debtors and trading stock.
The zakaatable year is the lunar year after the day one had in one’s possession zakaatable assets to the value of nisaab.
Creditors are subtracted from the sum of zakaatable assets and 2.5% of the difference is paid as zakaat.
For example. A person owns zakaatable assets to the value of nisaab on the first day of Ramadhaan 1412. If on the first of Ramadhaan 1413 he still owns zakaatable assets to the value of Nisaab then 2.5% of the total Zakaatable assets on hand on the first of Ramadhaan 1413 is liable for Zakaat irrespective of the fluctuation during the year. If, however, the amount during the year reached zero then a new year will start after one owns zakaatable assets to the value of nisaab again.
The nisaab amount is at present R1 021.59 as at October 15, 2004 in South Africa. Zakaat is payable (2.5%) on the percentage of zakaatable assets in a company, if bought for investment (dividends).
So, if a company has issued 1000 shares and you have purchased 100 shares then you own 1 tenth of the company. If the zakaatable assets of the company equals one million rands then you have to give 2.5% of one tenth of 1 million rands which will be R2 500.
If the shares are bought for resale then the entire amount is subject to Zakaat.
- IS IT OKAY TO USE TOOTHPASTE OR TOOTHPOWDER WHILST FASTING?
- It is reprehensible (makrooh) to do so. (Jawaahirul Fiqh)
- DOES THE USE OF AN INJECTION BREAK THE FAST?
- The fast is not nullified. (Fatawa Raheemiya vol. 2) However, injecting directly into the stomach will nullify the fast.
- DOES THE USE OF A DRIP BREAK THE FAST?
- No. (Fataawa Mahmoodiya)
- CAN I HAVE A BLOOD TEST DONE WHILST FASTING?
- Yes, you could do so provided that you do not become so weak that fasting becomes difficult.
- IF RAIN WATER ENTERS MY MOUTH AND SWALLOWED, IS MY FAST BROKEN?
- Yes. (Fatawa Hindiya – vol. 1, pg 203; Fatawa Shaamiya vol. 2, pg. 403)
- DOES A WOMAN HAVE TO KEEP QADHA OF FASTS MISSED DUE TO MENSTRUATION?
- Yes, Hadhrat Aisha (Radiallaahu Anha) reports from Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) that a menstruating woman will keep the qadha of missed fasts but there is no qadha for salaah missed during menses.
(I’laaus Sunan vol.1 pg. 372)
- IF ONE VOMITS, DOES IT BREAK THE FAST?
- The fast is only broken if one had vomited a mouthful involuntarily and swallowed it voluntarily or if one had voluntarily vomited a mouthful whether swallowed or not. (Fatawaa Hindiya – vol. 1, pg. 203/4)
- I NEED TO INSERT MEDICATION INTO MY EYE ON A DAILY BASIS. WHAT IS THE STATUS OF MY FAST?
- The fast is not affected by inserting medication into one’s eye, whether the medicine is liquid or non-liquid . (Fataawa Hindiya, vol. 1, pg. 203)
- IS IT PERMISSIBLE TO SWIM WHILST FASTING?
- It is not advisable to swim whilst fasting. If water is swallowed by mistake or enters through the nose and reaches the brain then the fast will break and a qadha will have to be kept. (Tahtaawi Alaa Maraaqil Falaah, pg.
- DOES MASTURBATING BREAK THE FAST?
- One is not allowed to masturbate, whether fasting or not. However if one does this act whilst fasting then the fast will break and a qadha will have to be kept. (Shaami vol. 2, pg 399)
NB: There is no kaffarah (keeping 60 consecutive fasts). One should make sincere abundant taubah for this debase act.
- WHAT IS THE STATUS OF SEHRI IN RAMADAAN?
- Sehri is a sunnah practice. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) is reported to have said, “Partake of sehri, for verily there is barakah
(blessings) in Sehri.” (Bukhari and Muslim) However the fast is valid without sehri.
- IF I HAVE A WET DREAM AT NIGHT, OR WHILST FASTING IS MY FAST STILL VALID?
- Yes, the fast is still valid. (Shaami)
- IS IT PERMISSIBLE FOR A HUSBAND AND WIFE TO KISS WHILST FASTING?
- It is permissible, provided that:
- One does not swallow the saliva of his/her partner; ii. One has control over his/her desire and is not driven by desire to sexual intercourse or ejaculation. (Fataawa Hindiya)
- IS A FASTING WOMAN ALLOWED TO BREASTFEED HER BABY?
- Yes, this is permissible.
- CAN I VISIT MY GYNECOLOGIST OR HAVE A PAP-SMEAR DURING RAMADHAN?
- The fast would be nullified if medication is inserted into the private part. It would therefore be advisable to delay the appointment until after Ramadhan. (Fataawa Hindiya – vol. 1, pg 204)
- I AM A DIABETIC AND NOT IN A POSITION TO KEEP FAST. HOW DO I COMPENSATE FOR THE MISSED FASTS?
- Allah Ta’ala has granted permission to people like yourself to compensate the fast with contributions for poor Muslims. The Jurists have equated this amount to that of Sadaqatul Fitr (money given on Eid day to the poor). The current (Ramadhaan 1425) price in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa is R8.50 or more for each fast. It could be paid at the beginning of Ramadhan or at the end. (Shaami). This money may not be discharged before Ramadaan.
- IS IT PERMISSIBLE TO APPLY OIL TO THE HEAD WHILST FASTING?
- Yes it is permissible to do so. (Fataawa Raheemiya)
- I AM WRITING EXAMS DURING RAMADHAN AND FIND IT DIFFICULT TO CONCENTRATE WHILST HUNGRY. CAN I DELAY MY FAST UNTIL AFTER RAMADHAN?
- It is not permissible to do so. Keep your fast and pray to Allah Ta’ala to make it easy for you. (Fataawa Raheemiya Vol. 2. pg 34)
- I AM AN ASTHMATIC. DOES THE USAGE OF THE PUMP BREAK MY FAST?
- It is advisable that you use your pump at Sehri Time and Iftaar time.
However, if you do have an attack then you could use your pump. This will break your fast and a qadha will have to be kept.