The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه و سلم) said: ✨ “Indeed all actions are by intentions, and every person will be given according to what they intended. ✨ (Bukhari and Muslim)
The Companions (RadiyAllahu ‘anhum, those who knew Allah, and the scholars used to give much care to their intentions. They used to perform a single action with many intentions, resulting in a greater reward all together for one deed.
Some of the intentions one should intend when reading the Quran are:
1. INTERCESSOR – When reciting the Quran, we ask Allah the Mighty and Majestic to allow it to be an intercessor for us on the Day of Judgment, The Prophet (صلى الله عليه و سلم) said: ✨ ”Read the Quran for it will come on the day of Judgement as an intercessor for its companion.” ✨ (Muslim)
2. REWARD – Intend by reading it to increase in rewards. The messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه و سلم)said : ✨ “Whoever reads a single letter from the Book of Allah will have ten rewards…” ✨
3. PROTECTION – To hope by reading it often, freedom from the fire. It is reported that the messenger (صلى الله عليه و سلم)said : ✨ “If the Quran is brought together in the chest of one of you, Allah will not burn it in the fire.” ✨ (Graded authentic by Shaykh Albani)
4. FIRMNESS – To hope by reading it steadfastness and firmness of the heart. It’s reported that he (صلى الله عليه و سلم)said : ✨ “The person that doesn’t have anything of the Quran in his chest is like a collapsed house.” ✨ (Tirmidhi)
5. ELEVATION – Intend to act by every verse that is read, and to have the highest place possible in the Garden. The messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه و سلم)said: ✨ ”It will be said to the reader of the Quran: Read! Recite it as you used to recite it in the world and ascend; you will find your place with the last verse you recite.”* ✨ (Abu Dawood and Tirmidhi)
6. CURE – To intend to use it as a cure for the diseases of your heart and body, and as a reason for mercy to be sent down. Allah says: 🎀 “What we are sending down from the Qur’an is a healing and a mercy for the believers…” 🎀 (Isra 17:82)
7. PEACE – To use it as a means for the heart to find rest. Allah says: 🎀 “Surely in Allah’s remembrance do the hearts find rest.” 🎀 (R’ad 13:28)
8. ANTIDEPRESSANT -To use it as a means to bring life to your heart, light to your chest, to banish your sadness and relieve your distress. As the Messenger (صلى الله عليه و سلم)used to supplicate: ✨ “Make the Quran the spring of my heart, the light of my chest, the banisher of my sadness, and the reliever of my distress.” ✨ (Imam Ahmad)
9. GUIDANCE – To hope for it to be a means of guidance. Allah says: 🎀 “… It is a guidance for the believers.” (Baqarah 2:2)
And in the Hadeeth Qudsee: 🎀 ”Oh my slaves, all of you are astray except those whom I have guided, so seek guidance from me, and I will guide you.” 🎀
10. RESURRECTION -Intend to die upon that, as Allah allowed with Uthman (RadiyAllahu ‘anhu); he was martyred whilst reading the Quran. Ibn Katheer said: “ _Whoever lives upon something, will die upon that thing, and whoever dies upon something will be resurrected upon that thing. Based off of what Allah said: 🎀 “Do the evil doers imagine that We shall make them equal to those who believe and do good, making their lives and deaths alike? How vile is their judgement!” 🎀 (Jathiya 45:21)
11. NEARNESS – Intend by reading it often, to attain nearness to Allah. As it is reported in the Hadeeth: ✨ “Verily you are with the one you love.” ✨ (Muslim)
12. FAITH – Intend by reading it to increase your Eman, as Allah said: 🎀 “And whenever a new surah is revealed, some of them (the hypocrites) say: Whose faith has increased because of this? As for those who believed, it will certainly increase their faith, and they are joyful over that.” 🎀 (Tawbah 9:124)
13. KNOWLEDGE -From your intentions, you should want to increase in knowledge of your Lord.
14. STATUS – And from your intentions also, is for Allah to make you from his special chosen people. As per what was reported from the messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه و سلم): ✨ “Verily Allah has a special chosen people. They asked: who are they oh Messenger of Allah? He replied: They are the people of the Quran, the special people of Allah.” ✨ (Graded authentic by Albani)
15. WORSHIP – And from the greatest intentions one can have is that he intends to worship Allah by reading the Quran, as Allah says: 🎀 *“And recite the Quran in slow, melodious voice.” (Muzzammil 73:4)
Now ask yourself: what is YOUR intention when you read the Quran?
Allahumma send down your Rahma on us and permit us to benefit from the Quran…Aameen