Q. If you have the time, I will appreciate it if you can explain what each of the Imaams of the four mazhabs said about 15 Sha’baan. It will be most useful.
A. Herewith is a summary of what the Four Math-habs advise their followers in regard to the 15th of Sha’baan. It will be noted that all the four Math-habs accept the virtues of the 15th of Sha’baan.
A’maal of the 15th of Sha’baan in the Light of the Ibaaraat of the Fuqaha
1. Ihya-ul Lail – staying awake and rendering Ibaadat – is mustahab.
2. It is makrooh (forbidden) to get together and perform collective Ibaadat during this night.
3. It is mandoob (recommended) to have a ghusl during this night.
4. It is an auspicious night.
5. Rizq, lifespan, etc. are ratified this night.
6. It purifies one from the previous year’s sins.
7. In Fataawa Aalamgiri it is mentioned that Lailatul Baraa’ah is among the blessed nights to visit the Qabristaan.
1. To come together on this night is makrooh tahreemi. The Ulama should prohibit this.
2. This is a very auspicious and virtuous night. The Salaf would prepare in advance for this night.
3. It is a night in which rizq, lifespan and other matters of Taqdeer are passed on from the Lauh-e-Mahfooz to the Malaaikah.
4. Maaliki Fuqaha attach much emphasis on fasting the 15th of Sha’baan. It is mustahab and the most virtuous fast of the month according to them.
1. Du’aas are accepted on this night.
2. People should not gather for festivities on this night.
3. To spend the night in Ibaadat is mustahab.
4. This night is virtuous and it is a night of forgiveness.
5. Some Shaafi’ Fuqaha have written that fasting on the 15th is matloob and ma-moor (desired and instructed). In the Fataawa of Shaikh Ramli the fast of the 15th is declared to be Sunnat and the Hadeeth in this regard is judged to be qaabil-e-hujjat (worthy of proof).
1. Spending the night in individual Ibaadat is mustahab.
2. One view of the Hanaabilah is that the fast on the 15th is the most emphasised of Sha’baan.
3. The night is abounding in virtue.
4. Perform Ibaadat, make du’aa and abstain from sins on this night.
Fasting on the 15th of Sha’baan
The Jumhoor Fuqaha and Ulama, hold the Fast of the 15th of Sha’baan to be Sunnat. Yes, the jihat (angle) of the sunniyyat differs in their opinions. Whilst some aver that it is Sunnat in view of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) fasting excessively in the month of Sha’baan, others state that it is Sunnat as it is among the Ayyaam-e-Beedh. Then there are those who view the significance of this day’s fast in the light of the Hadith: “When it is the 15th night of Sha’baan then stand (in Ibaadat) for the night and fast during its day.”
Some consider two angles; the general fasting practice of Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) during Sha’baan and the fact of the 15th being among the Ayyaam-e-Beedh, and hence they describe this day’s fast as Aakadus Sunan – the most emphasised Sunnah Fast – for the month of Sha’baan. The bottom line is that the Jumhoor accept the Fast on the 15th of Sha’baan to be Masnoon.
And, Allah Ta’ala knows best.