Chapter No.: The Virtues of a Plague
- Sayyidina Anas Radiyallahu ‘Anhu reports, Sayyidina Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam said: “Plague is a (means of) martyrdom for a Muslim.” – Bukhaari, Muslim, Mishkaat.
- Sayyidina Abii Hurairah Radiyallahu ‘Anhu says, Sayyidina Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam said: “Five (categories of) people are martyrs: The plagued, the one who has disease in the stomach, the one who drowns, the one on whom a building falls, and a martyr in the Path at Allah.” – Bukhaari, Muslim, Mishkaat.
- Ummul Mu-miniin, Sayyiditina ‘Aa-i-shah Radiyallahu ‘Anhaa said: “I asked Sayyidina Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam regarding, plague. He informed me that it is (a type of) punishment (k>r some) which Allah Ta’aala sends on whom he wishes (‘ for some’ here means the kaafirs). And Allah has made it a mercy for the Mu-miniin (believers). The one who remains with patience in his plague affected settlement, with the hope of gaining reward, and knowing that only what Allah has decreed fhim will happen. He will receive the reward of a shahiid (martyr).” – Bukhaarii, Mishkaat.
This reward is only attained if one remains in the affected place and does not run away. The reward for dying in a plagued area will be additional to this reward.
- Sayyidina Jaabir Radiyallahu ‘Anhu reports, Sayyidina Rasulullah Sallallahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam said: “The one running away from plague is like the one running away from jihad. The one who stays steadfast with patience therein (affected place) will receive the reward of a shaheed (martyr).” Ahmed, Mishkaat.
From the previous two hadith it becomes clear that those affected by plague attain the reward of jihad while remaining in their homes. The reward for jihad is the best amongst all deeds.
- ‘Aliim Alkindii said: “I was with Abii ‘Abas Al-Ghifaarii on a rooftop. He saw a group of people leaving the settlement because of plague. And said: ‘O plague take me (because I am desirous) towards you.’” – Reported by Ibn ‘Abdulbarr, Almarwazii, Ahmed, and Tabraanii. Sharhus Sudur.