* The parents of Hadhrat Ma’roof Karkhi (Rahmatullah alayh) were Christians. When they had admitted him to the school, the teacher instructed him to say: ‘Trinity.”. He responded: “No! He is Allah, The One.” The teacher repeated his instruction several times. However, the boy responded each time: “No, He is Allah, The One.” The teacher severely beat him, but it made no change to the response of Hadhrat Ma’roof who was about six years old at the time. He ran away from the school and was nowhere to be found.
The parents said: “We wish that he returns. We shall conform to the Deen he chooses for himself. He went to live with Hadhrat Ali Bin Musa Ar-Ridha (rahmatullah alayh) and became his mureed. After many years he returned to his parents’ home and knocked at the door. His father asked: “Who is there?” He said: “Ma’roof”. Father: “What Deen have you adopted?” Ma’roof: “The Deen of Muhammad (sallallahu alayhi wasallam).” Both parents embraced Islam.
He stayed in the company of Hadhrat Dawood Tai (Rahmatullah alayh) for some time and made vast progress in the spiritual realm. Hadhrat Muhammad Mansoor Bin Tusi (Rahmatullah alayh) narrated: “I was by Hadhrat Karkhi in Baghdad. I saw an injury on his face, and I asked him about it. He said: “Don’t ask about something which is beyond your capacity (of spiritual comprehension). Ask about issues which will benefit you.” I persisted to know what had happened to him. Then he said: “Yesterday while performing Salaat (i.e. in Baghdad) I desired to be in Makkah and perform Tawaaf. I thus went there (miraculously), made Tawaaf then proceeded to the Well of Zam Zam. I slipped and fell on my face. That is the cause of this injury.”
Once Hadhrat Ma’roof Karkhi (Rahmatullah alayh) was on the outskirts of the city eating some bread. A dog was sitting nearby. Hadhrat Ma’roof would eat a piece of bread and feed a piece to the dog. His uncle happened to pass by. On seeing his nephew, he reprimanded: “Have you no shame sitting here eating with a dog?”
Hadhrat Ma’roof said: “In fact, I am feeding the dog because of shame.” Then he beckoned to a wild bird flying overhead. The bird descended and sat on the hands of Hadhrat Ma’roof. The bird covered its eyes and beak with its wings. Then he commented: “Whoever has shame for Allah Ta’ala, everything has shame for him.”
* Once when his wudhu broke, Hadhrat Ma’roof immediately made Tayammum. It was said to him that the river is close by. He said: “It is possible that before reaching the river, I may die.”
* “A sign of Allah’s apprehension is that He involves a person with his nafs and in futility.”
* “The sign of the friends of Allah is that their concern is only Allah. They derive rest only with Allah, and their engrossment is only in the affairs of Allah.”
* “When Allah Ta’ala wills goodness for a person, He opens up the gateway of virtue for him, and He closes the avenue of evil.”
* “The sign of deviation is indulgence in drivel talk and rebounding on a person of the evil he plans for others.”
* “Seeking Jannat without virtuous deeds is sinful. Desiring intercession without observing the Sunnah is deception. The hope for Mercy whilst disobedient is stupidity.”
* Hadhrat Ma’roof was asked: “How shall we cultivate desire for Ibaadat?” He said: “Banish the love of the world from your heart. As long as you have worldly love in your heart, your Sajdah will be for the object of that love.”
* “Have tawakkul (trust) on only Allah so that He be with you. Refer all your complaints to only Allah. The entire creation can neither benefit nor harm you.”
* One day whilst Hadhrat Ma’roof was fasting he was walking through the market place. A water-carrier was proclaiming: “May Allah have mercy on him who drinks from this water.” Hadhrat Ma’roof drank from the water. When he was reminded that he was fasting, he said that to gain the benefit of the dua he drank the water. After his demise someone saw him in a dream and asked about his condition. Hadhrat Ma’roof said that Allah Ta’ala had forgiven him by virtue of the Dua of the water-carrier. (It was a Nafl Fast)
* When Hadhrat Ma’roof Karkhi (rahmatullah alayh) died, the Yahood, Nasaara and Muslims disputed regarding his Janaazah. Each group demanded to carry the Janaazah and to attend to the burial. Hadhrat Ma’roof’s close companion said that before dying he (Hadhrat Ma’roof) had directed that those who will be able to lift his Janaazah should attend to his burial. First the Yahood attempted to lift the Janaazah, but failed. Then the Nasaara tried. They too were unable to lift the Janaazah. The Muslims lifted it without effort.
* Hadhrat Sirri Saqati (Rahmatullah alayh) said: “In a dream I saw Hadhrat Ma’roof Karkhi (rahmatullah alayh) lying unconscious under the Arsh of Allah Ta’ala. Addressing the Angels, Allah Ta’ala said: “Who is this person?” The Angels responded: “O Allah! You are the Wise One. You know.” Allah Ta’ala said: “He is Ma’roof. He is enraptured with My Love. Nothing but My Vision will revive him.”