A tsunami is a large tidal wave which reaches heights of approximately 30 meters and travels at a speed of up to 805 km an hour. They often come in a series of waves called a “wave train”. Hence the destructive force is greatly increased as every successive wave crashes on the shore. Tsunamis cause widespread destruction and havoc and seriously affect the lives of thousands of people.
While the tsunamis that come from the ocean cause disaster on earth, there are tsunamis of a different form that crash on the hearts of people. In the terminology of the Qur’an and Sunnah, these tsunamis are called “fitna”. These fitna tsunamis overturn hearts and cause havoc and destruction to people’s Deen and Imaan.
THE FITNA WILL GRAB HIM
Indeed fitnas are very dangerous and extremely destructive. Allah Ta’ala Himself warns of the severe consequences of fitnas in the following verse: “And fear such a fitna (trial), the consequences of which will not affect only the wrongdoers” (Al-Anfaal : 24). Thus those around the wrongdoers will also be engulfed in the worldly destruction, though they will be saved from any punishment in the Hereafter if they did what was in their capacity to stop the fitna.
Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) also clearly warned his ummah that there will be such fitnas in the future that even “the one who peeks at it, the fitna will grab him.”
Among the most widespread fitnas of the time is the fitna of the misuse of technology. The greatest manifestation of this fitna is through the cellular phone. Despite its many benefits, perhaps no other device has caused as much harm and destruction as the cellular phone. How many millions of hearts has it engulfed in severe darkness by means of the haraam that it provides at the press of a button? Has not the sanctity of the Musjid been trampled by cellular phones ringing, especially with the sinful musical tones? Has not the serenity of I’tikaaf been severely disrupted by this phone? How many marriages have collapsed and resulted in divorce, primarily due to misuse of the cell phone? How many young and old have become involved in numerous vices through the cell phone? … In numerous hands, the cell phone has become a ticket to Jahannum…. It has become a HELL-PHONE.
Among the various vices committed through the hell-phone, viewing porn and illicit chatting have become a pandemic. Many parents happily give their “young angels” highly advanced phones. “Not my child, he is very responsible,” is the general answer and attitude. May Allah Ta’ala make every child very responsible and a shining example of taqwa. However, there is also something which scientists call the “curiosity factor.” When something “is there”, and especially if it is easily accessible, curiosity propels most people to “just check it out”. Very often the end result of such curiosity is described in the well-known saying — curiosity killed the cat. Most people who are addicted to this evil initially merely peeked at it out of curiosity. The fitna then grabbed them in its vice-grip.
Consider some of the latest statistics: The average age that most children first see pornographic material is 11. The largest consumers of internet porn are 12 to 17 year olds. There are daily 68 million search engine requests for x-rated material. 37% of internet users viewed unsolicited pornographic material via pop-up adds, mixed links, etc. There are many more heartbreaking and terrifying statistics with regard to the disaster wreaked by the internet, mainly via the hell-phone. Can one be complacent about oneself or one’s children in the middle of such a tsunami?
Due to becoming involved in such filth from a young age, many youngsters are carrying this filth along into their marriages. Ulama-e-Kiraam and social organizations are receiving an increasing number of e-mails and calls from women complaining that their husbands are watching the nauseating filth of porn. Some have become so utterly shameless that they indulge in this extremely obscene filth in the presence of their wives… La hawla wa la quwwata illa billah – we seek Allah Ta’ala’s protection from every fitna – especially the fitna of technology.
Merely discussing the above like a news item will not solve anything. The reason for highlighting some of the statistics is solely to conscientise those who are of the misconception that everything is OK… or that “its not too bad.” The crucial aspect though is the remedy.
The first step of the treatment, and insha Allah cure, is to acknowledge that one has a serious illness. If one mis-diagnoses a cancer as a common flu and treats it with ordinary anti-biotics, in a short time the cancer will spread and result in the person’s death. Therefore, first accept that one is dealing with a cancer. Hence emergency treatment must be undertaken.
Cancers are generally treated with chemotherapy or radium therapy. These are very harsh forms of treatment and cause much pain and discomfort. However, the one who is seriously seeking cure from a cancer undertakes such harsh treatment. Therefore, without procrastinating, immediately adopt the following steps:
- CHANGE YOUR PHONE. If you have misused your phone, do not take any more chances. Curiosity may kill the cat again. It may kill your shame, marriage, family life and, worst of all, could even destroy your Imaan. Hence change your phone to a basic model which does not have any internet or multi-media capability.
- If you cannot bring yourself to change your phone, make a pledge with Allah Ta’ala that if you ever misuse the phone again, you will BREAK it into little bits and pieces!! Likewise, if you misuse the computer or any other device, pledge to Allah Ta’ala that you will break it.
- Remember death. Sit for a few minutes and imagine that while watching something on the phone, you suddenly suffered a massive heart attack and dropped dead. Your parents, spouse and children all came at the same time to find you dead with the phone in your hand still displaying the filth you were watching!!! There is an excellent section on death in the book Fazaail-e-Sadaqaat (pg. 565). Read this for a few minutes daily. By constantly doing this DAILY, it will develop the consciousness of death and become a barrier against sins.
- Recite a portion of the Qur’an Shareef EVERY DAY. Also recite istighfaar and Durood Shareef 100 times each.
- Spend some time daily to ponder and reflect: Remind yourself that you have to face Allah Ta’ala and that involvement in this filth will destroy you, your marriage and your children. Ponder about the utter shame and embarrassment if you are exposed.
- Most importantly, develop a close bond with the righteous and pious. Join the gatherings of Deen, where the greatness of Allah Ta’ala is constantly discussed.
May Allah Ta’ala protect us from every evil and make us His true servants. Aameen.