Q. I am requesting a list of good Muslim names for both males and females. Is the name Siaara a good name for a girl? What does it mean? The person who mentioned it said it meant ‘Intelligent’. Is the name Saa’d or Sa’ad? Which is the correct way to spell and pronounce it? We chose this name for one of our children because the Sahaabi with this name was one of the Asharah Mubash-sharah (the Ten Sahaabah who were given glad tidings of Jannat).
A. The best names to choose from are the names of the Ambiya (Alaihimus Salaam) and the pious servants of Allah Ta’ala. A disturbing trend nowadays is to search for some fanciful or exotic name regardless of the correctness of the name. Barkat (Blessing) is in following the simple and sacred way of our pious predecessors. A brief and general list of some sacred and good names appears further down.
“Siaara” is a dubious name. We do not view this ‘name’ to be correct.
Saa’d is a better spelling.
Names for Boys
1. Names related to the ninety-nine names of Allah Ta’ala of which the most loved by Allah Ta’ala according to the Hadeeth are Abdullah and Abdur Rahmaan.
2. Names of the Ambiya, of which the most virtuous is Muhammad.
3. Most of the ninety-nine titles of Rasoolullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam). Some of Rasoolullah’s titles cannot be kept as a name, e.g. Nabi. Consult with the Ulama before selecting any name from this list.
4. Names of the Sahaabah (Radhiyallahu anhum)
5. Names of the Awliya (Rahmatullahi alaihim)
Names for Girls
1. Names of pious ladies of earlier Ummats, such as Hawwa, Aasiyah, Maryam.
2. Names of the Azwaaj-e-Mutahharaat (the Holy Wives of Rasoolullah Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam), such as Khadijah, Aaishah.
3. Names of the Daughters of Rasoolullah (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam), such as Faatimah, Zainab.
3. Names of Sahaabiyyaat, such as Asma, Habeebah, Afraa.
If Allah Ta’ala wills we shall prepare a booklet on appropriate names for Muslim children in view of the numerous questions in this regard. We shall publish the list with meanings and some history of the name on our website, Insha Allah.