The Beetroot vegetable known for its distinctive dark red color, have attracted the attention of chefs around the world for centuries. This delicious and nutritious vegetable features as a popular element in the cuisines of many cultures. Beetroot is commonly served as a side dish across the Middle East and India. But this simple root vegetable provides many health benefits too.
Umm al-Mundhir رضي الله عنها said:
God’s messenger came in to visit me accompanied by ‘Ali when we had some ripening dates hung up. He began to eat, and ‘Ali along with him, but God’s messenger said to ‘Ali, “Stop, Ali, for you are convalescing.” I then prepared some beetroot and barley for them and the Prophet said, “Take some of this, ‘Ali, for it will be more beneficial for you.”
Ahmad, Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah transmitted it.
Referenc: : Mishkat al-Masabih 4216
1. In Hadith they are called as Salq.(السلق)
2. In Hindi they are called as Chukander, Shaljam.
3. In English they are called BeetRoot or Beets
4. Many scholars consider Salq as white beet root (Chard)
5. We can consider all types of beet root, but white beet root should to also be considered.
It is a taproot portion of beet root plants, their tap root, leaves & stems are used as cooked food, medicinal uses, eaten raw as salad, drank as juices or soup, as vinegar, pickles, jams, ice creams, sauces & etc. All variety has a unique shape, size & colour, all are from same family.
Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم’S Guidance About Salq (Beet Root):
After Friday Salah, a special dish:
1. Hazrat Sahal Bin Saad رضي الله عنه narrates, we used to be happy on Fridays, for there was an old lady who used to pull out the roots of Chard (white beet root) (السلق) and put it in a cooking pot with some barley. When we had (use to) finished the (Friday) prayer, we would visit her and she would present that dish before us. So we used to be happy on Fridays because of that, and we never used to take our meals or have a mid-day nap except after the Friday prayer. By Allah, that meal contained no fat.
[Bukhari: 5403, 6248; Book. 70, 79; Eng vol: 7, 8; Book. 65, 74; Hadith. 315 & 265]
2. Hazrat Umme Munzir رضي الله عنها says that Rasoolullahﷺ & Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه both came home, she had bunches of dates (دوال), she served bunches of dates (دوال) to both, both started to eat the dates, but when Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه had eaten 7 dates (approximately) he was stopped by Rasoolullahﷺ from eating more, & said to Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه that you were ill last days & now you are weak, so do not eat more, Hearing to his Hazrat Umme Munzir رضي الله عنها prepared Sareed (ثريد) (thin gravy) of meat, beet root & chapati (خبز) from jaw (الشعير) (barely flour) & served to both, on this Rasoolullahﷺ said to Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه eat this dish, this is beneficial for you.
[Tirmizi: 2170; Book. 28, Eng vol. 4, Book. 2, Hadith. 2036]
Contents Of Beet Root:
Carbohydrate, sugar, starch, protein, dietary fibers, zinc, potassium, sodium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, Manganese, calcium, Vitamin B1, B2, B3,B5, B6, B7, B12, C,A, betaine,nitric acid & etc.
Scientific Benefits Of Beet Root:
Beetroots are antitumor, carminative, emmenagogue, haemostatic properties, antioxidant, helpful in cardiovascular conditions, used as colouring agent, helps regulate blood pressure, promotes cognitive health, prevention against anemia, they have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory & detoxification properties, lowers bad cholesterol, they are stamina enhancer via oxygen usage efficiency, weapon against infection, gate keeper of blood flow to certain organs & they improve digestion.
Beets contain high amounts of boron, which is directly related to the production of human sex hormones, reduces changes of cancers, best for shin, hairs, liver, kidney, heart, lungs, brain & etc.
Science & Hadith Regarding Beet Root
Beetroot is a powerhouse of nutrients and has many important health benefits. As well as purifying the blood, fighting cancer and other diseases, this super food has recently been found to provide an energy boost and improve physical performance whilst using up less energy. It is rich in Vitamin B; it helps for skin health and hair growth. Including 1 glass Beetroot juice in our diet controls the high blood pressure and also improves the memory power.
1. No Fat: – Beetroots doesn’t contain fat as it helps us to reduce the desire of eating sweet. It will be beneficial for those who are dieting.
2. Boosts the Energy: – Beetroots contains carbohydrates and it helps to give instant energy.
3. Folic Acid: – Folic Acid is essential for women as it helps to develop the fertility system & prevents prostate health; Including Beetroot in your diet is the natural way of gaining folic acid in our body.
4. Nutrition: – Many Parents feel that we lack in providing nutritious food to their children, So Beetroots are the best nutritious foods as it contains Vitamin A, C, Magnesium, Calcium, Minerals, Potassium, Iron etc which helps to provide the required energy and supplements to our body.
5. For Healthy Heart: – Are you suffering from High blood pressure? Then take 1 glass of beetroot juice daily. It contains Nitrates, when it mixed with blood it produces nitric oxide which helps to reduce the blood pressure so can we yield good healthy heart. Aclinical trial saw participants consume 250 ml of beet juice daily for four weeks. At the end of the four week period, the group that had consumed the beet juice had markedly lower blood pressure levels, as well as improved function in their blood vessels.
6. Beetroot Juice: – Taking Beetroot juice daily gives lot of benefits to us. It just contains not only Nitrates; these are the rich sources of Vitamins, Minerals, and Amino acids. It also has the characteristic of fighting against cancer causing agents. A glass of beetroot juice a day will improve blood flow to the brain, which will result in better and efficient brain functionality. Beetroot juice naturally and efficiently opens blocked blood vessels and veins and increases the blood flow in the body. A glass of beetroot juice a day improves the immunity system and gives you a kick of energy.
7.May Ease Inflammation – People who suffer from joint pain and inflammation may find relief in beetroot consumption, according to a study published in Nutrition and Dietary Supplements.
Researchers found that consuming beetroot eased joint pain and helped with joint.
Whether the joint inflammation was caused by arthritis, gout, or trauma, beetroot was found to help ease the pain.
Conclusion Of Hadith:
Happiness of Hazrat Sahl Bin Saad رضي الله عنه indicates that beetroot was liked by them, & saying that if it has no fats indicates that they disliked Fats which is mostly unwanted by the body & gives severe ill effects in health. Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه was advised to eat beetroot gravy in place of dates, indicates its importance in health after illness (recovery period) means we should eat them in recovery periods. And also note the intelligence of Umme Munzir رضي الله عنها that when she heard that Ali رضي الله عنه was stopped from eating more dates quickly prepared what was suitable for Ali رضي الله عنه This shows how intelligent & wise they were regarding uses of food.